Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Culinary Artistry





Culinary Artistry by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page is a great cookbook for everyone but a revolutionary one for professional chefs.

This is a book that teaches the foundational knowledge of flavor pairings every cook should learn, how to develop your own ideas with the resources you have and understanding the creative components of cooking. For example, if you have venison loin, Dornenburg and Page explain that it often served in the fall with apples, cherries, red currants, juniper berries, or mushrooms and that it would be smart to grill, braise, roast or sauté it. I can't even fathom how long it took them to think the whole book through; it's so thorough. So when I walk through the fridges early tomorrow morning and say, "Geez, what should I do with all that swiss chard and that case of local eggs?" Culinary Artistry is the inspirational guide that can show me the way! After almost 15 years of having my dog-eared copy I still use it to spark my creativity.

This is another core book in any cooks kitchen.
Related Posts with Thumbnails